Saturday, October 10, 2009

View from my window



This morning as I looked out my window, I saw something unusual. Yes, the ground had snow on it but on top of the snow, were leaves!!!! This is backwards. Aren't the leaves supposed to be UNDER the snow???? Wow. The wind is blowing today so the leaves are falling like rain. It is now about 2 1/2 hours after I got up and I can hardly see the snow any more. No......it is not melting, the leaves are almost covering the snow. Another thing I noticed is the leaves are almost all green. Nature didn't give the leaves enough time to turn color before the snow arrived. We are supposed to get 1-2 inches more snow on Monday. This is a sad situation. Not only did we have a short summer (September) but now an early winter? My birthday is the 7th of October and I can only remember one other winter that we had a blizzard on my birthday and the snow stayed.................soooooooooooooo the odds are in our favor for nice weather yet.
I have seen many winters. Anybody else out there remember a winter that came early and stayed?

GOOD THINGS: There is a good thing, the traffic has slowed way down. This is a good thing because we live on West Lake Drive and have a lot of traffic. The cars get going pretty fast past our house.Just Jules can verify They have slowed down to where they should be today. I can actually see who is driving as they go past.

Also, the lake is not frozen. That is a good thing because there are several people that still have their docks and boats in the water. I have seen people chip ice to get them out so I hope the snow last night gave them the bug to get them out today. My bird bath however, has frozen water in it and the birds are flying around my window as if to tell me they need water.

All-in-all, if this stays, we will make the best of it. There is something cozy about being safe and warm inside your home, the warm glow of the lights, candles burning, possibly cookies baking my husband wishes, there used to be. Now we can get those chores done that we have been putting off all summer because we would rather be outside. O.K. I tried..............................you all try to have the kind of day that you want to have. If you can't, make the most of YOUR view from YOUR window

4 comments:

Eliane Zimmermann said...

how strange to see that snowy garden, way too early! we have a neighbor from near you who used to share her time between our place here in Ireland and the US who will be terrified by the early winter. she even had to move from the house they lived after her husband died last year because she wouldn't cope with cleaning the entrance from the white mess. by the way: your lovely blue house looks like a cousin with two stores of our blue timber cottage at the sea.

Big Blue House said...

Where is your neighbor from? My husband feels about the same way she does about the snow. We go to the Southern US for a few weeks in the winter just to get away from it. Thanks for reading my blog. Come back soon.

Deb said...

brrrr...stay warm!

Just Jules said...

I just know that we don't have the winterization done yet. the snow has to leave so we can do that.